ImportOmatic should...

Allow data to be removed from records

IOM should expand the practice of allowing a minus to cause data to be removed from a field. This should be made available on any and all fields with the possible exception of ones that might cause a problem, like constituent ID. This suggestion covers the desire to remove phone numbers and dates from addresses and incorrect data from middle names, etc. Sometimes we know the data is wrong but don't know the correct information. It's difficult to remove bad data from records.

230 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Marian Ritland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

We’re happy to announce that versions 3.4.1.0 and higher of ImportOmatic will include the ability to remove data from fields, as you requested in this UserVoice post!

Please review the “Remove Data” settings in our user guide to learn more about this new feature.

Thanks!

The Omatic Team

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joshua Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially helpful when we get a list of bad e-mail addresses.
    Being able to drop them, via import, would be great.

• Evan Rodwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. One of my biggest complaints about RE's own import function is how it won't let me overwrite non-blank values with blank values. One major benefit of importing data into RE is it eliminates some of the limitations of the Global Change and Global Delete functions - but this restriction is a large gap in that ability.

If I can uniquely identify the data I want to remove (with an Import ID, for example), I should be able to remove it.

• AdminOmatic Software (Product Manager, ImportOmatic) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would be really cool is if you could specify, per-profile, what your "delete" character is. Then it could be "-", "^", "®" (my personal favorite), or whatever people like. Most of this is great, but... I have a question about this original suggestion. It says it "covers the desire to remove phone numbers", but how would you specify which phone should be removed? Just by specifying a phone type and the "delete" value (like "^")?

• Marian Ritland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears RE uses the ^ character for this purpose. It would be a good idea if you used the same character for this purpose as RE does. It would make things less confusing.

• C Wolfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful. We have a change of details file that really needs this in order to be effective. Currently this part of the process is manual.

Feedback and Knowledge Base